Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Crash and burn Mondays . . .

I'm back! Where have I been? Well, nowhere really. I've just been sequestered in my room with my books for the last week and a half. It's the end of the semester and I was drowning in academic wordy garble. At the moment I'm functioning on 8 to 10 hours of sleep for the past 3 days. I know it's a far cry from the days of college when I would pull an all-nighter to crank out a paper but . . . well I really like my sleep and I'm not as youthful as I once was. But I handed in my last paper at noon today and now I feel elated beyond belief. A million paperweights have been lifted from my shoulders and I'm walking on cloud 22 and a half. I even indulged in a shopping spree . . . gasp! I know! I'm a broke grad student, who am I to go shopping? Have no fear I'm not spending myself into debt or anything. I just got a couple of essential items for the long plane ride tomorrow - a book of crosswords and a novel.

So, Monday was when I was starting to hit 'crazy town.' My usually calm facade was starting to get a crazy eyed glow. And inside I was going absolutely nuts. So, after I decided that turning in a better paper late was worth the letter grade I'd be losing for its lateness, I went into fuzzy logic mode and decided that if I was going to be torturing myself through another night of paper revisions I could eat whatever I wanted. I came out of the store with a giant bag of Cheetos, a package of Safeway brand Oreos (which are called Tuxedos, I'm partial to the ones that have vanilla cookies with chocolate and vanilla cream inside!), and an antioxidant fruit smoothie. This isn't my usual diet . . . they're all things I would consider a bit of a treat but . . . well it was crash and burn, so why not?

Now I need to pack my bag for my trip tomorrow. There's nothing like 10 hours on a trans-Pacific flight with 300 grouchy strangers to round out the week.

No comments: