Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alone

I've never minded being alone. I don't know if that's because I'm an only child and have spent a fair amount of time by myself or if it's just the person that I am. Frankly, there are plenty of times when I prefer to be alone. There is a certain amount of comfort in the freedom of being by oneself. I like both the anonymity of being alone in a swarming crowd of strangers in the city and the isolation of being alone when standing on a deserted lakeshore. I think most of all I like being alone because it rarely lets me down. I know exactly what to expect and don't have to be disappointed by raised hopes. It is heartbreaking to be with people, to share time with them, and yet feel completely alone. The pain is even more acute when those people are friends, people that one should feel at home with and enjoy spending time with. Perhaps I seek solitude because it's easier and I'd rather not face disappointment. Does that make me cowardly or practical?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Does that make me cowardly or practical?"

I think that makes you a little bit arrogant, thinking people shouldn't let _you_ down. No offence. One must learn that no one is perfect, and we should forgive the imperfection in everyone else.

You should even forgive my arrogance of giving an advice when no one asked for it ;-)