Monday, October 02, 2006

The leaps and bounds of my brain

I forgot how dry the theory of social sciences can be and despite my best efforts to the contrary my mind starts to wander in class. We were discussing the comparison of nonprofits internationally through nonprofit organizations with worldwide chapters. Someone raised the example of Greenpeace and how it was started in the UK but spread worldwide through chapters in different countries. Since the course focuses on civil society in Japan, our professor connects the example back to Japan by saying that we could compare the Greenpeace chapter in Japan with those in other countries. Oddly enough this is where my mind went off on a totally ridiculous tangent. In my head, all I could think about was how in Japanese Greenpeace has the same phonetic pronunciation as 'green peas' which is what peas are commonly referred to there. Now, I can only imagine that the chapter of Greenpeace in Japan has to deal with a lot of miscommunication regarding it and the consumption of peas. Here my brain automatically connects the phonetic blip of peas with Pocari Sweat, a popular Japanese sports drink that they tried to launch in the US but failed miserably for what I would think are obvious reasons. I mean, who wants to drink anything called 'Sweat'? Although, people do seem to enjoy Pimp Juice and Crunk which sound equally distasteful to me. But what I really want to know is, how did I get from peas to Pocari Sweat?

PS - If you go to the Greenpeace Japan website, please know that when they say the "True Food Prize" went to Bourbon they are in fact talking about a snack food manufacturer, not the whiskey beverage. Though I'm sure there are those who would argue that bourbon is indeed a true food.

No comments: