Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How does your garden grow

Anna got motivated the other day and went to the Swanson's nursery. When I came home from class there were stacks of pots and a large bag of potting soil on the dining table. Apparently she's planning on planting some tomatoes, green peppers, and chives. We really don't have very much natural light in the apartment so I don't know how the seeds are going to sprout but that's not for me to worry about. I'll leave that up to Anna's ambition.

What I have noticed though is that the eating nook and the hallway now have an earthy smell from the potting soil. I can catch wafts of it as I walk by. It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that being in a basement and smelling the scent of earth makes me feel like we live in an unfinished basement. And I am faced with the momentary fear that if I open my bedroom door I'll find an unfinished dark and dank dirt floored room instead of my cozy bedroom.

None the less the idea of planting things makes me feel like spring really is around the corner. The crocuses are out and in bloom here. It's the first sign of spring, right? I should be daydreaming of warm weather and wearing sandals and flowy skirts but instead I find myself thinking fondly of gardening and yard work. I miss having a real yard, not that I did a lot of yard work when I had one but at least I had the option of doing it if I wanted to. Options are important, even if I can't make decisions when I have options.

No comments: