Friday, September 12, 2008

Whatever happened to 'no take backs'?

It's the quintessential rule of all childhood games, "no take backs!!" I seem to remember it applying to all games regardless of whether it made sense or not. For example, a game of hide and seek with 'no take backs,' tag with 'no take backs,' kick the can with 'no take backs,' etc. I mean seriously, what is there to take back in hide and seek?! Children are curious creatures.

Anyway, the aforementioned job interview has been 'taken back,' if you will. Apparently, they can do phone interviews and since that is the case they don't need me to fly out there just yet. On one hand it's sort of a relief, on the other it's a little bit confusing and intimidating. I am glad that I don't have to fly out there on such short notice without being sure of how good of a chance I have of actually getting this job. I am curious though as to why they've changed their minds (or if they've changed their minds). Whatever the case, I'm still pretty excited about the whole thing. But I'll admit when I was reading the e-mail from them, the little impish child in my head was running around pouting and shouting "but no takes backs! no take backs!" and the impish almost-adult in me was wistfully thinking "whatever happened to 'no take backs'?"

2 comments:

bigboid said...

Ah, so I didn't see your original reference to a live job interview in a previous post. But it has been my experience that employers tend to use phone interviews as a way of checking the "competitively sourced" box for EEO purposes. No longer are phone interviews a necessary first step to bringing in one or several top candidates for live interviews in the hiring process. Now, the people who tend to get phone interviews are those the employer already thinks are NOT the top candidate, and are used to screen people out from the live interview process which, let's face it, can be very expensive to conduct if you're talking about flying people in for the interview.

I don't think this really helps you all that much, but that's my two cents. It's about all that observation is worth. Probably doesn't make you feel better one bit.

jen said...

Thanks for the feedback bigboid, I'll keep that in mind for the next time around - definitely good info to know. I actually did end up going in for a live interview after the phone interview. My situation might have been different though, since I live on the opposite side of the country from where I'm applying for the job and had to fly out there for the interview.