Thursday, August 10, 2006

Privacy and the lack there of

As much as people grumble about wire tapping and the invasion of privacy, I think most people are completely unguarded of their personal privacy most of the time. Honestly, have you heard the stuff that most people talk about when they're on their cell phones in public places? Or amongst friends in public places? I mean I'm not trying to eavesdrop but many times I can't help overhearing the conversations around me because they're held in such loud voices.

Cases in point . . .
1. Last week on the bus a woman was having a conversation on her cell phone with someone she clearly hadn't talked to in a while. She was discussing the details of how she had met a great guy, he had treated her to a spa day, they had gone on several wonderful dates, and she was hoping he would propose to her. Next, she went on to discuss how her brother had just had open heart surgery the day before. It was the result of a heart condition he was born with but the progression of the illness was much quicker than anticipated. Now, I'm giving you the general story but I could have given you the details from the name of the spa she went to and the boyfriend's sister's name, to her brother's name which hospital he had his surgery at and where her grandmother lived.
2. Even today at the returns counter at Home Depot I overheard one of the cashiers telling a coworker how her sister went to visit a friend in India for 6 weeks and came back engaged to someone she had known only 2 weeks, apparently he's a real estate developer and worth millions.

Really . . . the things you overhear. And if you overhear all the details and put two and two together you practically have a roadmap to someone's life. People are giving up their privacy daily, on the bus, on the sidewalk, at restaurants. And I'm sure I do the same thing too, but my point is this: think about what you're saying and where before you start complaining about the invasion of privacy.

No comments: