Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ships in the night

The concept of the soul mate is so nebulous. I think some of us can spend lifetimes pondering their presence and existence. Have you ever thought that you've met your soul mate? If we are so lucky, then I feel that surely we must know and recognize our good fortune beyond a doubt.

The other day I met someone who, had we been in a different time and place, would have been my soul mate. Our interaction was not long but everything that was said had a profound resonance, it was so easy without intention and comfortable without effort. In the here and now though, we are strangers who had a chance meeting, ships passing in the night only glimpsing the far off glitter of lights reflected in the calm dark waters.

In every stranger lies the promise and possibility of a friend. In every friend lies the promise and possibility of a soul mate. So, how is it that the shadow of a soul mate can be seen in a stranger too? I have had some of the most truthful, meaningful, and heartening interactions of my life with relative strangers. With ever growing conviction, I believe in the true and extraordinary kindness of strangers.

No comments: