Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How much for that camel in the window? And I'm not talking about the cigarettes . . .

So yesterday, I went with Carolyn to buy a going-away present for one of her co-workers. We ended up in a little Egyptian imports store that shall remain nameless for reasons that will become evident later. As we walk in the salesman motions us towards the jewelry counter where he's standing and proceeds to dab our wrists with scented oils so we can smell them as we browse around. I think it would be safe to say that Carolyn and I both rued the moment we let the oil touch our skin, we reeked all day even after vigorous scrubbing with soap. Anyway, we're browsing and making polite chitchat with the guy and end up back at the jewelry counter where Carolyn decided on getting a pretty pendant. It sounds simple enough but even picking out the pendant was an endeavor with the salesman chatting us up . . . especially with questionable conversation topics which included a discussion of 'the key of life' and him vehemently refusing to believe that I was 100% American before I had said anything at all let alone something that could be refuted. Finally, the pendant has been paid for and we think we're going to make it out of the store but we're accosted yet again and the salesman insists on giving us his card. At the door he turns to Carolyn and says, "You know your friend is very pretty," and since I can't take a compliment I just smile and feel embarrassed thinking that'll be the end of it but he goes on, "If we were in Egypt I would make you an Egyptian offer, I'd give you a thousand camels for her." If my face weren't frozen in an awkward smile my jaw would have dropped to the floor. Really, I know he was joking but that may have been the most ridiculous comment of the day. Carolyn laughed and said, "No." Thank goodness. Someone needed to say no and I don't think I had the wherewithal to do it.

As we were walking down the sidewalk all I could think was, "How much are a thousand camels worth? Was Carolyn getting a lowball deal?" Silly me, camels are notorious spitters and I don't spit at all, so clearly I'm worth more than a thousand camels - at least that's my logic and I'm sticking to it. So, the moral for today is: if you go into an Egyptian import store be a good friend and don't sell your shopping buddy for a thousand camels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, you're worth far more than a thousand Camels. What a punk!

jen said...

Thanks for the confidence vote :)